Here is all of the gear I used on a two week backpacking trip on the John Muir Trail. This is a full backpacking gear list for a multi-day thu-hike. I’ve outlined all of the essential backpacking gear below. With water and 6 days worth of food my total pack weight was 44 pounds. While there may be some room for improvement as far as weight goes, I found that I had all of the items I needed for this trip, I was comfortable in a variety of situations and I was equipped for all of the conditions we encountered.
Backpacking Gear List
3. 2 small water bottles
5. Sleeping Pad
6. Head lamp
8. Backpacking Stove and fuel
9. A small cup
10. A watch equiped with an altimeter and compass
11. A trowel
12. An Emergency Kit
15. Waterproof pants
16. Down Jacket
22. 1-man tent
The above gear list is intended to help you plan your own backpacking or thru-hiking adventure. I hiked over 200 miles on the John Muir Trail in central California in July with only this gear. You’ll want to consider the weather conditions of the area you backpack in and the time of year of your trip.
I suggest you buy the lightest weight gear that still provides the comfort level you desire. Don’t put yourself at risk or give up comfort to save a few ounces of weight. For a more complete explanation on my gear choices click here: JMT Gear List. Or click here to follow along on our John Muir Trail Thru-hike: JMT Backpacking Trip.
Latest posts by Andy Hawbaker (see all)
- 5 Unusual Roadside Attractions For Your Summer Road Trip - May 22, 2015
- Kelty Brand Spotlight and Giveaway! - May 21, 2015
- How to Tune a Front Derailleur - May 20, 2015
- TrailTime Tips: Sharpen Your Fire Starting Skills - May 19, 2015
- 25 Things Only Campers Understand - May 15, 2015