I remember long road trips in the van with my family. My mom and dad would load us up and head out west on the stereotypical family vacation. Now I’m taking my kids on family adventures but I’m careful to make sure the trip is fun for everyone involved. If Arches National Park is on your radar, be sure to check out the best hikes for kids in Arches National Park, listed below.
Moab, UT is an amazing area to explore by bicycle, kayak, Jeep or ATV but it’s also a great place to visit with the whole family. I’ve visited the area many times over the last few years and have put together this list of the top 3 places to hike in Arches National Park.
Best Hikes for Kids in Arches National Park
Windows Loop –
- This loop has everything for a short family-friendly hike. First of all, it’s a loop so you don’t have to retrace your steps, it’s only 1 mile so you can easily carry small children and there are three separate arches to visit. You can climb all the way into the base of each arch and there’s a longer rustic trail for those looking for a longer adventure. There are restrooms available at the parking lot but bring plenty of drinking water for the whole family.
Landscape Arch –
- Starting from Devils Garden Trailhead, this easy 1.6 mile hike is a fun walk through a well maintained sand and gravel trail. Landscape Arch is a beautiful spot so bring your camera. Be sure to stop at Tunnel Arch and Pine Tree Arch which are both really short side trips from the main hiking trail. If everyone is feeling up to it, continue on to Double O Arch and Navajo Arch.
Delicate Arch -
- There are few places as highly photographed as this iconic arch. The hike to Delicate Arch from Wolfe Ranch is 3 miles round-trip. The trail gains nearly 500 feet of elevation and provides little shade so plan to hike in the morning or in the evening and bring plenty of water for the kids. The hike is on open slick-rock and requires a bit of exposure to heights at the end. Be careful and keep your kids close by. This amazing arch is worth the trip.
Be sure to stop by the ranger station and get a park map. You’ll easily find all of the best hikes for kids in Arches National Park on the park map. Enjoy your family vacation and be sure to comment below if you have any other hikes you’d recommend for children.
Latest posts by Andy Hawbaker (see all)
- Best of the Hub: 2014 Year in Review - December 19, 2014
- Canyons, Dunes and Gorges: Can You Name the State? - December 19, 2014
- 35% Off and FREE Shipping - December 18, 2014
- Icebreaker Brand Spotlight and Giveaway! - December 18, 2014
- #Trailtime Instagram Favorites - December 12, 2014