Are you ready for another outdoor mystery destination game? Try and guess the popular outdoor destination from the five clues below and the attached photo. If you know the answer, tell us in the comments below. This week the correct answer is the name of a mountain.
- At 5,268 feet tall, this mountain is the highest point in the state and was believed to be the first point in the U.S. to see the sun every morning (which isn’t true).
- The local Native Americans named the mountain “The Greatest Mountain”.
- In 1930, the state’s governor began acquiring lands around the mountain and in 1931 he established the area as a state park named after himself.
- The first recorded climb of this mountain was in 1804. Henry David Thoreau also climbed the mountain in 1840 and recorded his ascent in a well-known chapter of The Maine Woods.
- Many backpackers aspire to climb this mountain as it is the official terminus of a well-known hiking trail.
There you have it. If you know the answer enter it in the comments below then forward this to your friends and see if they know the answer to this Mystery Destination game.
Did you enjoy this Mystery Destination game? Check out some of our other Mystery Destinations.
*Thumbnail photo was taken by Tom in NYC and used with Creative Commons license.
Latest posts by Andy Hawbaker (see all)
- What Type of Outdoor Adventurer Are You? - September 12, 2014
- Hi-Tec Brand Spotlight and Giveaway - September 11, 2014
- Are You Making This Common Hiking Mistake? - September 10, 2014
- How to Maintain a Fishing Rod: Rod and Reel Maintenance - September 9, 2014
- Enter to Win a Trip to Machu Picchu Plus Gear - September 8, 2014