Name This National Park: Mystery Destination

Mystery Destination

We’ve had a little fun over that past few moths with out weekly mystery destination series. Last week, we featured an annual cycling ride and in previous week’s we’ve featured all kinds of great outdoor destinations. This week we are featuring a large national park that you’ve definitely heard of and maybe you’ve even visited it. Read the 5 clues then tell us what outdoor destination we are describing.

National Park Mystery Destination

Photo By Kevin Eldon

• This park covers nearly 1,200 square miles (roughly the size of Rhode Island). Within the park boundaries, you’ll find thousands of lakes and ponds, 1,600 miles of streams and 800 miles of hiking trails.
  • John Muir is credited for playing a major roll in preserving this wilderness area. In addition to years of lobbying to protect this area, Muir camped in the area with President Theodore Roosevelt for 3 days in 1903. In 1906, Roosevelt signed a bill to forever protected this area as federal land.
  • The area is popular with rock climbers who enjoy climbing on the giant granite slabs.
  • Thru-hikers on their way from Mexico to Canada pass right through this park on a popular long distance backpacking trail.
  • One very popular hike/climb inside this park had as many as 1,000 hikers per day. The National Park Service now requires a permit to climb this large granite dome to limit the number of hikers each day.

Do you know what we’re talking about? Enter the name of this National park in the comments below. Extra points if you’ve visited this park and bonus points if you can name the thru-hiking trail and the busy hike mentioned in the clues.

Check out our previous mystery destinations here: Mystery Destination.

The following two tabs change content below.
Andy Hawbaker
Andy is a hiker, backpacker, snowboarder and outdoor fanatic. When he isn't exploring the Rocky Mountains with his wife and daughters he shares his adventures here on the Sierra SocialHub.
Andy Hawbaker

Latest posts by Andy Hawbaker (see all)

33 comments on “Name This National Park: Mystery Destination

1. Aaron Blanton

What is Yosemite national park!! And the through hike is the pacific crest trail, and the busy hike is the hike to half dome

2. Shawn Walker

Of course this is Yosemite!! One of the gemstones in our National Park System. Yellowstone, Glacier & Yosemite are three of my families favorite places to visit!

3. Deanne

Yosemite National Park ~ one of the most incredible places on Earth!
    The Pacific Crest Trail passes through the Tuolumne Meadows area.
    Did my first lead rock climb on Lembert Dome.
    I have hiked and ridden my horses on portions of the PCT that run through Yosemite and from Sonora Pass to Carson Pass and past Lake Tahoe
    The popular hike is Half Dome ~ I climbed it before the regulation permits and it was so crowded…people bustling by up the cables…
    LOVE YOSEMITE!!

4. Cheryl Taylor

Yosemite!!! I’ve visited there many times, even hiked portions of the Pacific Crest Trail. I’ve been to the top of Half Dome via the cables twice. Yes, many people visit there…and no, that does not ruin the experience fo Yosemite. It is truly a wondrous place.

5. Mercedes Da Costa

Yosemite National Park! I have been there twice and took my kids the second time. I LOVE IT!

6. KathyG

Yosemite National Park! My husband and I have been there multiple times, and have hiked the High Sierra on the John Muir Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail, and we stayed in the HIgh Sierra camps, a great way to do it. Spring time the waterfalls are awesome, then return in summer to the High Sierra for the best hiking, and autumn and winter have other joys. There is no bad time to go to Yosemite.

7. Karen Weaver

Yosemite! I worked at Yosemite (Curry Pizza) for a season many years ago.

Most hikes begin at Happy Trails and the hike that now requires a permit is that of Half Dome!

8. Jennifer Lyons

Yosemite. It’s a favorite of our family. My daughter was a ranger there for 7 years. She met and married her husband there- Yosemite Chapel on a snowy March day! They had the good fortune to live in the park and drive down into Yosemite Valley daily. We had the privilege of traveling all over Yosemite, from El Portal to Groveland to Tuolumne Meadows. I especially love Lake Eleanor.

9. Felicia Capelle

Yosemite, I’ve been going there every year since the 60s. Pacific Coast Trail. Half Dome.

10. Naomi

Uh…the National Forest Service has no say on who climbs Half Dome. It’s the National Park Service, ya know?

11. peggy

Yosemite National Park
    I’ve been there once on motorcycles and will be returning this summer.
    Not sure of the thru trail
    Half dome is the climb that requires a permit

12. Darrell Burns

Yosemite, first visit was in summer of 1963, the summer of my 9th year, being from Missouri, a picture created in my mind’s eye I never forget!

13. Link

Yosemite National Park
    The PCT or Pacific Crest Trail
    Half Dome (very difficult to get permits)
    I visit the park 4-5 times a year, and will be there this weekend with a Boy Scout Troop.