Whether you’re running your first 5k, training for a marathon or just enjoy an evening run, you’ve got to have comfortable running shoes. Running long or short distances can put a lot of strain on your feet. You’ve got to carefully consider the shoes you wear to be sure you can run the miles without pain. Below are the most important tips for choosing running shoes.
1. Know your feet. Do you under pronate, over pronate or do you have neutral pronation? Pronation is the term used to describe the normal motion of the foot rolling slightly inward through the foot strike. Learn how to know what type of pronation you have here: What is Pronation.
2. Size Up. When it comes to running shoes, it is a good idea to go a half size larger than your other shoes. You’ll want plenty of room for your feet to expand as you run. You’ll also save yourself from painful toenail crushing at the end of the shoes. Shoot for a thumbs width of room above your toes.
3. Invest in quality. If you’re serious about running for daily exercise or to train for a marathon, don’t try to save money by buying cheap shoes. Technological advances have made great strides in comfort for runners. Check out Asics, Salomon, New Balance, Merrell and Brooks for great running shoes.
4. Change it up. Don’t get too dependent on the same pair of shoes. You’ll wear them out quickly and have to start over breaking in a new pair of shoes. Instead, rotate your shoes. Get more than one pair of running shoes and rotate back and forth to keep from wearing one pair too quickly. Also, don’t be afraid to replace an older pair of shoes. Many runner need to replace a pair of shoes every 4 to 5 months.
5. Consider your socks. The most important piece of foot comfort may not be your running shoes at all. The right socks can make a big difference. Properly fitting moisture-resistant socks will keep you from experiencing swamp foot and feeling uncomfortable. Replace your cotton socks with moisture-wicking running socks and you’ll appreciate the difference.
Follow the above tips for choosing the best running shoes. You can find more information about proper lacing, pronation and other athletic shoe tips here: Running Shoe Buying Guide. You can find Men’s Running Shoes and Women’s Running Shoes at big discounts at Sierra Trading Post. If your training goes beyond running, you may also want to check out our Triathlon Gear.
Latest posts by Andy Hawbaker (see all)
- 5 Surprisingly Easy Ways to Reduce Your Pack Weight - July 28, 2014
- Which is the Best National Park? - July 25, 2014
- Teva Brand Spotlight and Giveaway - July 24, 2014
- Best Campsite Dessert Ever - July 21, 2014
- A Spectacular Canyon Cut into a High Plateau - July 18, 2014