Backpacking recipes typically revolve around some type of beef jerky, tuna or pouched chicken. It’s possible to cook a great tasting vegetarian backpacking meal, too. In this week’s addition of our outdoor meal series we feature an easy vegetarian backpacking recipe called Quinoa & Veggies. Watch the video to see this meal being cooked then check out the recipe below.
Quinoa & Rice: A Vegetarian Backpacking Recipe
Quinoa and Rice is an easy to cook vegetarian backpacking meal that tastes great. For this meal we used Quinoa, dehydrated carrots, dehydrated peas and other dehydrated mix vegetables. If you don’t have a food dehydrator, you can purchase dehydrated vegetables at a health food store. Finally, for some added flavor we added some great tasting chili powder.
What you’ll need:
- 2 Cups of Water
- 2 Cups of Quinoa
- About 1 Cup of Dehydrated Veggetables
- 3 Table Spoons Chili Powder
What to do:
At the campsite, boil 2 cups of water on your camp stove. Once the water is boiling add 2 cups of quinoa and cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add about 1 cup of mixed dehydrated vegetables and stir. After the vegetables have warmed up and hydrated a little, add 3 table spoons of chili powder and stir.
Outdoor Meal Rating:
We found this vegetarian meal to be pretty easy to cook in the backcountry. It tasted pretty good and made a great vegetarian backpacking option to our regular campsite cooking meals. We recommend you try it out. After you do, leave us a comment below to let us know what you think about this vegetarian backpacking meal.
For more backpacking meal ideas, check out these previous meals in our Campsite Cooking Series:
- Easy Backpacking Recipe: Tuna Noodler
- Dutch Oven Breakfast Burritos
- Easy Camping Meal: Sausage and Mash
- Backpacking Recipe: Pizza Taters
- Campsite Cooking: Pizza Taters
- Trailside Chicken and Rice
- 77Backpacking meals can be lightweight, easy to cook and great tasting. You don't have to take Ramen Noodles or freeze-dried meals into the backcountry. We've shared great tasting backpacking meals on our Campsite Cooking Series and this week we've got another easy backpacking meal called Cheesy Bacon Taters. Backpacking Meal: Cheesy Bacon Taters This lightweight…
- 68Welcome to another installment of Campsite Cooking. This week we are featuring another easy backpacking recipe called Tuna Noodler. This is a very easy meal to cook while out on the trail. It only takes a few ingredients, is easy to cook and tastes great. Watch the video for more information or check out the…
- 68When searching for great tasting backpacking meals, look no further than your favorite thanksgiving dinner. In this installment of our outdoor meal series, we feature a great backpacking meal called Chicken and Stuffing. Watch this quick video to see how this meal is made then see the full directions below. Backpacking Meals = Chicken and…
- 67Warm weather is here and it's time to hit the trail for some backpacking. You've carefully examined all of your gear from a lightweight tent, roomy backpack and comfortable hiking boots, but don't forget to plan for some great tasting backpacking meals. We've recently wrapped up a 12-part backpacking meal series called Campsite Cooking and…