Backpacking recipes typically revolve around some type of beef jerky, tuna or pouched chicken. It’s possible to cook a great tasting vegetarian backpacking meal, too. In this week’s addition of our outdoor meal series we feature an easy vegetarian backpacking recipe called Quinoa & Veggies. Watch the video to see this meal being cooked then check out the recipe below.
Quinoa & Rice: A Vegetarian Backpacking Recipe
Quinoa and Rice is an easy to cook vegetarian backpacking meal that tastes great. For this meal we used Quinoa, dehydrated carrots, dehydrated peas and other dehydrated mix vegetables. If you don’t have a food dehydrator, you can purchase dehydrated vegetables at a health food store. Finally, for some added flavor we added some great tasting chili powder.
What you’ll need:
- 2 Cups of Water
- 2 Cups of Quinoa
- About 1 Cup of Dehydrated Veggetables
- 3 Table Spoons Chili Powder
What to do:
At the campsite, boil 2 cups of water on your camp stove. Once the water is boiling add 2 cups of quinoa and cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add about 1 cup of mixed dehydrated vegetables and stir. After the vegetables have warmed up and hydrated a little, add 3 table spoons of chili powder and stir.
Outdoor Meal Rating:
We found this vegetarian meal to be pretty easy to cook in the backcountry. It tasted pretty good and made a great vegetarian backpacking option to our regular campsite cooking meals. We recommend you try it out. After you do, leave us a comment below to let us know what you think about this vegetarian backpacking meal.
For more backpacking meal ideas, check out these previous meals in our Campsite Cooking Series:
- Easy Backpacking Recipe: Tuna Noodler
- Dutch Oven Breakfast Burritos
- Easy Camping Meal: Sausage and Mash
- Backpacking Recipe: Pizza Taters
- Campsite Cooking: Pizza Taters
- Trailside Chicken and Rice
Latest posts by Andy Hawbaker (see all)
- 5 Unusual Roadside Attractions For Your Summer Road Trip - May 22, 2015
- Kelty Brand Spotlight and Giveaway! - May 21, 2015
- How to Tune a Front Derailleur - May 20, 2015
- TrailTime Tips: Sharpen Your Fire Starting Skills - May 19, 2015
- 25 Things Only Campers Understand - May 15, 2015